POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bathtub - take 2 : Re: Bathtub - take 2 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bathtub - take 2
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 Dec 2008 03:25:00
Message: <web.494764c76655db18c67b294d0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> >I wasn't originally going to go in this direction, but with some of the
> >comments
> > on my previous render I ran through some alterations.
> >
> > -toned down the darkness of the water.  It still looks dark, but actually
> > that
> > is mostly due to environment reflection.
> > -altered the waves of the water.  toned down the choppiness and added
> > ripples
> > -changed some of the faucet textures
> > -changed the image plane (it is a image/bump map not procedural)
> > -most importantly, added AA.  Only set to 0.3 but coame out pretty godd
> > still.
> >
> > Ny further critique, suggestions are more than welcome.
> >
> > -tgq
> >

> Looking better and better indeed. The ripples in the water give it a much
> better look. With the ground plane the scene now takes an identity of its
> own with (for me) a clear reference to climate change.
>
> I am working at this moment with a water texture (ocean) that you provided
> some time ago. I wonder if it is the same one as this one. I made some
> changes to it (to fit my needs of course...).
>
> Thomas

Thanks.

Wasn't really referencing climate change, but I can see how one would interpret
that.  That's the great thing about art, you can interpret any way it makes you
feel whether the artist intended it or not.  Is more just a tub in a desert
landscape from my developmental perspective, I hadn't really thought that deep.
 More of an desolation image, perhaps subconsiously derived from scenes from The
Wall by Pink Floyd.

The water is likely the same as I posted a long time ago as it is one that I am
quite happy with: f_ridged_mf applied to a heightfield and use it quite often
for water scenes with adjustments to suit (ie ripples added here, meticulously
placed and added in using functions, my favourite POV feature).

-tgq